Rubber Chicken Soup

Rubber Chicken Soup
"Life is funny . . ."

Monday, September 26, 2011

East Lansing Rain

by Thomas M. Pender


A true story from my college days . . .


I must be a poet to do this during a storm
                  God, I need to learn to play the guitar
                  And pull it out at times like this
But I lay a blanket by my window
And watch

The headlights the windshield wipers the lightning the thunder

I put on Elton John
And I smile

I hear screams
Happy screams and laughter
I peer into the gray rain
And I see a young man in shorts
Carrying his lover on his back and running
And he slips on the wet grass
They fall
Tumble over one another
And laugh harder

I hear curses
Angry curses and mumbles
I look into the gray rain
And I see a young woman in a wet and wilted dress
Carrying her books and her broken umbrella
And she slips on the wet grass
She falls
And the books scatter and the umbrella flies away
And she rolls on her back
And bursts into laughter
As the rain dances on her face

The rain slows
The rain stops

And the world that existed during the storm is gone
A shame



written by t. michael pender  12/28/86
copyright 1986 T. Michael Pender.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment