Rubber Chicken Soup

Rubber Chicken Soup
"Life is funny . . ."

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

You Say You Want A Resolution


by Thomas M. Pender

Coming up on the dawn of 2012 as we are, many people’s minds turn to thoughts of New Year’s resolutions.  Such optimistic folks decide on what they will accomplish in the coming calendar year, or what they will change about their lives that they do not like, or how they will improve themselves.  It’s a very admirable practice, this promising oneself to become a better person.


Making good on these promises, however, seems to be a bit of a challenge.


Statistically, the most popular resolution is weight loss and/or exercise.  From the stories I’ve heard, both from folks I know and strangers in various media, January will start off full of positive energy and dedication to the resolution, but within a few weeks, peters completely out of steam.  It seems like only the strongest can even make it to February!


I’m only speaking from an observer’s point-of-view here.  I have never made a New Year’s resolution, simply because I know myself very well.  I know I have issues with focus and diligence on non-essential long-term projects.  (Witness my barely started novel, conceived over 23 years ago!)  I don’t feel the need to purposely add pressure onto myself to accomplish feats that I procrastinate on while under no pressure whatsoever.  In fact, whenever someone asks during the holiday season if I’ve made any New Year resolutions, I usually respond, “Every year, I resolve not to make myself promises about my future behavior.”  Simplified, I don’t make New Year resolutions.


I suspect that tag-team resolutionists have a much better chance to accomplish their goals.  At least, to go the furthest in reaching their goals before giving up.  I think that a healthy environment of coaxing and partnering will add a great deal of success potential to any achievement, be it as small as organizing one’s closets or as large as quitting cigarettes.  I do feel that with a loving partner-in-resolution, I would achieve much more than I ever would have on my own.  But that’s just me.


As I do any positive, constructive goal seekers, I applaud the resolutionists, and wish them only the best.  To be completely honest, though, a date on a calendar isn’t going to spark much progress in my personal goals.  A change of calendar can’t inspire a change in mindset all on its own.


While I work on improving myself – year-‘round, mind you! – I wish everyone a happy and positive New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment