Rubber Chicken Soup

Rubber Chicken Soup
"Life is funny . . ."

Monday, December 12, 2011

To My Lady -- Whoever She May Be

by Thomas M. Pender

Written during my college days, I thought this was a completely original title, and it basically is.  However, I was going through a Simon and Garfunkel phase in my music listening at that time, and much later it occurred to me that I subconsciously "borrowed" (at least in form) from their song title "To Emily, Whenever I May Find Her."  Artistic license allows such things, but still . . . whoops.  Sorry, boys.

  

is it you
are you the one
the one they told me about

they told me you would come one day
wait
what is today
just as i thought
it’s someday

they said someday you’d
walk into my life

the funny part is
i know you
i’ve known you for ever
i could have picked you out of a crowd
years ago
when i was alone
and searching
are you aware of how long i’ve been
looking for you

tell me about yourself
no wait
i know
i know who you are
i know what you are
and i know why

shall i show you
show you your life story
it’s all here
in my collection
i’ve been writing about you
for ages

is it ridiculous
to tell you i love you
you must know
you must think it funny
that i’m not sure of myself
for we have loved
since before memory

forgive me
for my shock
my insecurity
my fear
and my uncertainty

but you see
a dream of mine has just come true

and i don’t know
how to tell you




written by t. michael pender  4/8/86
copyright 1986 T. Michael Pender.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment