Rubber Chicken Soup

Rubber Chicken Soup
"Life is funny . . ."

Monday, August 8, 2011

Poem For A Best Friend

by Thomas M. Pender
 
My family was a dog-owning family.  We always had at least one dog in the house.  In 1977, when I was 11 years old, a neighbor gave us a chihuahua-mix puppy that we named Duffy.  For the next 13 years, he followed me around and laid in my lap.  He slept in my bed and growled to let me know Mom was coming to wake me.  He played with me when I was happy, and was the first to come to me when I was upset.  Eventually, it was like he not only understood English, but could read my thoughts before I voiced them.  We were that close.  I'm a bit ashamed that it took me this long to dedicate a poem to him, but I hope you enjoy it.  It also goes out to all the dog lovers, and to their "best friends."

There is a line in the song "Mr. Bojangles" that goes: The dog up and died/He up and died/After twenty years, he still grieved.  I know what that feels like now.  I still miss you, Duffy.




Duffy Dog


Too many years have passed
Dear friend
Without a word from me

It shames me that I’ve never
Written verse
To celebrate that which you were
And are
To me

When no one else understood
You were there
When all was against me
You were for me and no one else
You protected me
You comforted me
And you ran to me
When you needed someone

Not a day goes by that
You do not cross my mind
Though it’s been twice a decade
Since we saw each other last

From the day we met
We were one
And still today
I feel you walking beside me

When it is my time
I pray that the Gates open
And you run out to me
And that you will once again find
Comfort in my lap
So that I will know I am truly Home


written by t. michael pender  6/26/11
©2011 T. Michael Pender.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment