Rubber Chicken Soup

Rubber Chicken Soup
"Life is funny . . ."

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Garrett Versus The Atlantic Ocean!


by Thomas M. Pender

Living in the Midwest most of my life, I haven’t been to the coast much.  In fact, before arriving in Georgia, I had only seen it up close once, on a one-day trip to Atlantic City, where I could see it from the boardwalk.  The only time I’ve ever actually put my toes in the salty Atlantic Ocean was on a day in Savannah with my sons Nick and Garrett in the summer of 2002.

Two-year-old Garrett wanted to go out into the water.  I took his hand and we waded a few steps in, until the water came up to his thighs.  He delighted in the rare opportunity to feel cool water on a hot day, and for a few minutes, it was pure fun.

Then, that wave hit.

Having never been in the ocean’s waters myself, I was not aware that large rogue waves were to be expected on days with relatively peaceful tides.  I wasn’t on the alert, looking out to make sure no miniature ninja tidal waves sprang up to attack my child.  Instead, I was watching my son laugh and splash, and soaking in the moment.

Out of nowhere, the two of us were struck by a large wave!  It wouldn’t have bothered me if I was standing in the water all by myself, but it was high enough to engulf little Garrett completely.  One second, he was laughing, and the next, water was rolling in up and over his head.  In a parental flash, I was picturing my son coughing, choking and gagging after having swallowed a mouthful of seawater.  I was fully prepared to soothe and cheer him after such an assault.

Instead, after the vicious wave had rolled past, Garrett did two things, neither of which was cry.  First, he blew water out of his mouth.  Second, he looked out over the vast Atlantic Ocean, and bellowed at the top of his two-year-old lungs:

“Not in my face!”

This made me laugh instantly, but I was simultaneously struck with an instant respect for my child.  This little man was not only unafraid of the largest ocean on the planet, but he felt confident enough to bark orders to it!  It didn’t matter that the ocean didn’t have ears to hear him.  He was not going to have his fun day in the sun and sea ruined by a mean old wave, so he simply gave the naughty ocean a directive. After that, he went right back to enjoying the splashing for a bit, then I walked him back to our blanket.

Since that day, I haven’t been overly concerned about Garrett being intimidated by much.

No comments:

Post a Comment